We LOVE our grandparents!!! Grandparents Day is always such a fun, special day for the kids at Wooster. My favorite part is getting to see the kids give their creations to their Nana, Papaw, Memaw, Granny, and every other special person in their lives. I want to share with you a few of the hits from this year. 1st grade's theme was "Our Grandparents Rock!"
The firsties painted portraits of their grandparents. These always give me many smiles and giggles. You just HAVE to smile when you walk by the wall of grandparents!
Here's a peek at our records, where the kids wrote reasons why their grandparents rock. These were so stinkin' cute to read. Here are a few for you to enjoy!
"Grandma rocks because she reads to me." "Mimi and Papaw rock because they color with me."
"Grandma rocks because she gives us cards with money inside." "Papaw rocks because he lets us drive the toy helicopter." "Grandma rocks because she always makes the best sweet tea." "Grandma and Grandpa rock because they bring treats when they come."
"Papa rocks because he makes pie." "Mamaw rocks because she writes words."
"Nanny and Papaw rock because they say when I was a baby I was so fat." "Mamaw and Papa rock because they tell me scary stories."
"Nanny and PawPaw rock because they are silly."
"Mamaw and Toonty are rocking because they let me shoot my bebe gun."
We had been working on the sight word "because" when we wrote out our records. There is a lovely song that we sing in our room, to help us remember how to spell that big ol' word. Cue the music...
Because Song
(Tune: She'll Be Coming 'Round The Mountain)
B-E-C-A-U-S-E spells because.
B-E-C-A-U-S-E spells because.
I eat because I'm hungry.
I drink because I'm thirsty.
When we answer why, we use the word because.
B-E-C-A-U-S-E spells because.
B-E-C-A-U-S-E spells because.
I smile because I'm happy.
I laugh because I'm silly.
When we answer why, we use the word because.
Yeehaw!
I love to see the kids using the word "because" in their stories, since that means they are writing bigger, better sentences. In first grade, we want the kids to vary their sentences, and throw in some of those longer ones. I get a little bit giddy when I walk by and hear one of them humming this song as they write...someone IS listening to me!! :)
We created a video of the kids singing a few Grandparents Day songs, but HERE is the big "project" we worked on for our grandparents: our online book! As I've said before, you know we are working this year to use digital tools to publish and create. We used Little Bird Tales again, to make a book of why grandmas/grandpas are the best. THEN, the kids used a microphone to record their voices reading their writing. This was hilarious! Everyone wanted to "re do" their sentence recording 15 times, just so they could hear their voices coming out of the speakers. We watched our finished creation play over, and over, and over again...so we could get it "just right" for our grandparents. Click on the picture below, to watch it play...make sure your volume is turned up so you can hear some of our soft spoken firsties. :)












No comments:
Post a Comment